"Faulty DS3231!"

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nixmix 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

nixmix
    Participant

I’ve got the Arduino Mega based nixie clock (NCS318-6 v 1.2) and yesterday when it powered up it made 5 beeps. Today it did the same. (I have it on timer so it’s off overnight.) I looked in the code and see that 5 beeps means “Faulty DS3231” or that the temperature reading of the DS3231 is out of range (lower than 5C or higher than 50C). A few minutes later once I launch the Arduino monitor I see the reading / log entry says DS3231_t=27, well within this range.

Any idea what’s going on? There must have been a reason for them to add a check for faulty DS3231 temperature readings.

Thanks!

Gra Afch
    Keymaster

Hello.

Well, that’s strange, of course. This rule really checks the range of values from 5 to 50, and as we can see, 27 is in this range.
    Therefore, this should not happen. In general, if there are no problems with maintaining the correct current time when Clock is powered OFF, then this 5-fold beep can simply be commented out in the code.

nixmix
    Participant

I have the GPS connected to it to correct time issues, so I may not realize if the time was a bit off because of temperature. Wish I knew what the reading was when it failed, maybe I’ll add a different beeping to let me know if it’s reporting high or low when it is out of range.

Since the debug log output says “Faulty DS3231!” do you know what the fault is? Is it just that the temperature sensor stops working? Or does it catch fire or something horrible?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.