Can't upload arduino sketch to nixie clock

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gra Afch 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rx.gra
    Participant

Followed the tutorial video you have. I’m trying to compile and install firmware so I can tweak it. But I only get timeout() when trying to upload through the Arduino IDE. I believe I followed all the steps in the video. I also downloaded the FT230-FT232_Windows_Drivers drivers you have on your site. In your video it shows the name and port differently than what I see. And despite installing your driver I still see what I think is the default Arduino-installed driver. I know the port truly is this device, if I use the Serial Monitor I see the output of the Nixie’s firmware, the test pattern/etc. So I know I’m able to talk to it. Sketch I’m trying to upload is NixieClock_NCM109_FOR_NCT3XX_Series.

I upgraded to the latest Arduino IDE to see if that solved anything, same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Here’s the output I get in the Arduino IDE:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
    Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
    Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “C:\Users\quincy\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf”

Using Port : COM5
    Using Programmer : wiring
    Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
    avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done. Thank you.

An error occurred while uploading the sketch.

Zwartoog
    Participant

Could be many things:
    – Which board do you have? Uno or Mega?
    – Did you select the proper board under Tools->Board?
    – Does uploading a simple Arduino program work?

More ideas: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19645441/avrdude-stk500v2-receivemessage-timeout/29135050

rx.gra
    Participant

This is the NixieClock_NCM109_FOR_NCT3XX_Series clock, so it’s an Arduino Mega 328P IIRC. I chose Arduino Mega from the tools boards menu, per the tutorial video here. I haven’t tried to upload anything but the clock firmware to the nixie clock, not knowing what the results might be and not wanting to screw up anything and be stuck with a clock that didn’t even show the time. But I can try.

What’s confusing me in part is that the serial monitor is showing the clock output, so it must be talking to the clock, it’s the same serial interface used for programming and for the monitor, isn’t it?

I tried a few of the other things in the list you pointed me to, like looking for !!! and removing that.

Could I need to pick another board? If so, what? Does the 328P not get set to Mega?

Thanks.

Zwartoog
    Participant

The serial monitor has the same interface amongst all Adruino’s (only some very cheap imitations have a different chipset), so it will give you the output anyway.

In the Arduino menu, go to Tools->Board and select “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560”. If you have an Uno, select “Aruidno/Gnuino Uno” instead.

In the Tools->Processor, “ATMega 2560” is the most logical one for the mega. Otherwise, try the other one.

I am not sure where you found the 328P in the menu, I can only select that for an Aruino Nano.

Zwartoog
    Participant

Also, if the above still doesn’t work: can you post the full output of avrdude?

Gra Afch
    Keymaster

For Atmega 328p select: Arduino/Genuino Uno
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/H1uAii3oMGdoDmFj6

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.